Midnight Mommy Box
Every new moms’ lifesaver
Once you’ve brought your baby home, there is a lot less help than when you were in hospital. No nurses or night nurses to help you with the new arrival. That’s why we want to introduce you to something called a ‘Midnight Mommy Box’ – this box (crate, basket, plastic container) will literally save your life when you need to feed and change your new born in the middle of the night. The mommy box has a few key items to help make your life easier.
Below is a list of things to put in your mommy box:
- Nappies – there is nothing worse than having to change a baby at 03:00 in the morning and then having to fumble around for a nappy. Keep at least 10 nappies in the box at all times.
- Wipes and bum cream – like with nappies having to search for these items can be a real pain in the bum (pun intended). Keep a small container of bum cream in the mommy box at all times and the same goes for baby wipes. Make sure you top these up when they run out.
- Disposable changing mats will make sure that your linen stays clean when you decide to change your baby’s nappy in your bed in the middle of the night. Let’s be honest, after a C-section it’s hard enough to get up to get your baby and especially when you have a new-born in winter, try and make life as easy as possible for yourself.
- Medicine, keep age appropriate and safe medicine next your bed for in case baby develops a fever in the middle of the night. Gripe water and Telament drops are also great aids to keep close by.
- Nipple cream for breastfeeding mommies. Sore and sensitive nipples are a reality for any breastfeeding mama bear. Keep some close by for after feeds. We recommend a nipple cream with a lanolin base.
- A night light – whether you choose to co-sleep or for baby to sleep in his or her own room, keeping light to a minimum for night feeds is extremely important. Look in the hardware isle at the grocery store for small battery-operated touch lights. These are perfect to keep in your mommy box and provide just enough light to do the necessary.
These are just the necessities of the items we recommend you keep in your ‘Midnight Mommy Box’ and you should top up with anything you may feel is important to have close by in the middle of the night. A change of clothes for baby might also come in handy or a bottle of water and snacks for a breastfeeding mommy. Formula and bottles will also be a great addition to the mommy box. The mommy box should be filled with whatever will make the life of a new mommy as easy and stress free as possible.
Mommy Tip: If you are going to a baby shower, put a Midnight Mommy Box together for the mom-to-be instead of another onesie – we know she will thank you for it once the baby is here!